A bit of history...
Ahlstrom Genuine Vegetable Parchment (GVP) technology dates back to the 1840s.
Only a few producers remain worldwide for this demanding, sensitive process, which is as much an art as a science. Today, this technology has been mastered in two of our plants, both located in France.
The parchmentization process transforms cellulose, giving this natural, renewable resource plastic-like abilities. GVP is a continuous monomaterial; the fibers are gelled together to form a cellulosic gel, closing the surface.
It is achieved in two steps: first the paper making and the parchmentization, which is where the magic happens:
Sustainability built into each fiber
GVP is biodegradable and produced from responsibly sourced and renewable wood pulp, certified according to Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) standards.
Additionally, as it is made out of 100% cellulose fibers with no chemical additives, most of its variants are biodegradable and certified home compostable with OK COMPOST HOME from TÜV and industrially compostable with OK COMPOST from TÜV (EN13432).
Unique ink-free patterning capability
GVP offers the ultimate brand experience. You can color your parchment with a range of BfR- and FDA-approved colors for more vibrant branding. We also offer unique ink-free patterning possibilities, ensuring strong brand recognition and protection against counterfeits.
Parchment products are particularly well-adapted to demanding applications as they deliver an absolute grease barrier; without the use of fluorochemicals. They are part of the FluoroFree® family.
Unlike other cellulose-based products, GVP has outstanding water resistance.
Applications for GVP are numerous; we haven't found all of them yet! So far, we are active in the food, furniture laminate and textile tube cover industries, along with others; but the sky is truly the limit for this wonderful tool.
Discover our parchment products:
- Baking at home
- Baking for pros
- Industrial baking and steaming
- Food containers and molds
- Butter packaging
- Dairy and meat packaging
- Textile tube cores
- RFID prelaminated inlay release material
- PCB and CCL lamination aid
- Industrial Release materials
- Parchment paper for processing of decorative laminates
The benefits of GVP in a nutshell
- 100% virgin natural fibers from renewable resources, sourced from responsibly managed forests (Forest Stewardship Certification® (FSC®), PEFC™)
- Complete grease barrier with no chemical agents
- Natural wet strength; stronger in water
- High internal bond
- Superior temperature resistance
- Great release
- No loose fibers or dust
- Customizable (colors and ink-free patterning)
- Direct-food contact compliance
- Certified Home and Industrial OK compost
This technology participates in transitioning packaging ƒrom Plastic to Purpose.
Learn more about our philosophy and our webinars regarding the possibility of fiber-based solutions here